2 tbsp butter
2 large eggs
2 tsp sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
¼ tsp salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
¼ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon (optional)
Vanilla Essence (optional)
2 tsp rice flour
2 x 2cm-thick slices of stale, good-quality GF white bread
- Melt one tablespoon of the butter and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a wide, shallow bowl, and then whisk in the melted butter, the sugar, salt, spices and zest, if using.
- Stir a little of this into the rice flour to make a paste, then beat back into the egg mixture until smooth.
- Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, soak the bread in the egg mixture for about 30 seconds a side until soft but not floppy. If the bread looks dry then leave for a little longer to soak.
- Put in the hot pan and allow to cook undisturbed for about two minutes until golden and crisp.
- Turn and cook for about a minute or a little more on the other side, then put on to plates, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with excitement.
Tip: this is amazing with Mascapone or Creme Fraiche for a special occasion.
Click here for the PDF version