Cheesy chicken fritters
500 g chicken mince
2 large eggs
60 ml (1/4 cup) mayonnaise
35 g (1/4 cup) gluten free all purpose flour*
84 g (3/4 cup) mozzarella cheese or vegan cheese (optional) (grated)*
2 tbsp fresh basil (finely chopped)
2 tsp dried chives*
1/4 tsp salt
Season with black pepper*
Drizzle of olive oil
- Finely chop your fresh basil and grate the cheese. Place the chicken mince, eggs, mayonnaise, flour, cheese, basil, dried chives, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil (about 1 tablespoon). Once the oil is hot, use a 1/4 cup measurement to scoop the mixture into fritters, pop into the pan and then flatten slightly with a spatula. Fry each side for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, add more oil as needed. Once the chicken is fully cooked, place the fritters on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Cook the fritters in batches.
- Serve the fritters hot with sweet potato fries and classic coleslaw
Sweet Potato Fries
2 medium sweet potatoes (rinsed and dried)
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp freshly-cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 230˚C.
- Cut the potatoes into 6 mm thin strips, or to your desired thickness and length. Mix all other ingredients together in a large bowl and toss with the potatoes until they are evenly coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Spread the potatoes in a single layer. Try not to overcrowd or have multiple layers of fries — you want them to be roasted, not steamed.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, turning the fries once or twice during that time to cook evenly. This may take more or less time, depending on the size and thickness you cut the fries.
- Remove once the edges slightly begin to brown and fries begin to crisp. Sprinkle coarse salt on top when they are hot out of the oven.
Classic Coleslaw (serves 4)
3 cups finely sliced cabbage
½ medium red skinned eating apple
½ medium orange
2 small spring onions
2 Tbs sultanas
2 Tbs low fat plain yogurt
2 tsp reduced fat sour cream
1 tsp whole mustard seeds
1-2 Tbs chopped fresh mint
2 Tbs roasted pumpkin seeds
- Finely slice the cabbage. Leaving the skin on the apple, core and chop into cubes. Chop the orange into cubes and onion into chunks and roughly chop sultanas.
- Combine the yogurt, sour cream, mustard, and mint.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to allow the mint flavour to develop before serving.