400g potatoes, peeled
1 small onion, grated (optional)
1 tbs snipped fresh chives or parsley (optional)
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp Oil
1 tsp Butter
1 cup Chopped tomatoes
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 Chopped fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside to cool. Pat dry with a paper towel and coarsely grate into a large bowl (I use my food processor for this).
- Stir in onion (if using), egg, chives or parsley (if using), and season with salt and pepper. When combined, divide the mixture into eight portions and shape it into patties.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 2-3 hash browns to the pan and cook without turning for about 6 minutes or until golden and crispy on the bottom.
- Use a spatula to carefully turn the hash browns and cook until golden brown and crispy. Transfer cooked hash browns to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based omelette pan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and stir, cooking them for a few minutes until soft.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and a grind of black pepper. Pour into the pan and let it set a little. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gently move the set egg away from the sides of the pan, allowing all the eggs to cook consistently. You want the egg to be lightly scrambled but not overcooked.
- Serve with hashbrowns and sprinkle with herbs.