- 250g butter (softened)
- finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1cup castor sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 150g [1½ cups] ground almonds
- 1 cup fine polenta
- ¼ cup each lemon juice, sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160 C. Lightly grease and line 20cm round cake tin.
- Beat the butter (softened), rind and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the egg yolks, beating well. Stir in the juice, ground almonds and polenta.
- Whip the egg whites, until soft peaks form. Carefully fold into the polenta mixture.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, boil the lemon juice and sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon evenly over the hot cake.
Excellent served warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or fruit.