• 12 granny smith apples, large, cored, peeled, sliced
• 3/4 cup brown sugar plus 1/4 cup extra
• 1 cup almond meal
• 1 cup desiccated coconut
• 90 gram chopped butter
• 2 teaspoon chilled water
• warmed custard, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 24cm pie dish. Place apple in a microwave-safe bowl on high (100 per cent) power 2-4 minutes, until slightly tender. Stir in sugar and cool.
2. In a separate bowl, combine almond meal, coconut and extra sugar. Rub in butter with fingertips, to form crumbs. Gradually add enough water to make a dough. Press evenly over base and sides of dish. Bake 10-12 minutes.
3. Spoon apple mixture into pie case. Bake a further 15-20 minutes, until edges of flan are golden. Cool to room temperature before slicing. Serve with warmed custard.
To make dairy free, substitute butter with plant-based margarine and serve with whipped coconut cream instead of custard.
Recipe provided by Woman’s Day magazine: