- 250g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 packet GF almond icing (Bakels is GF)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- few drops almond essence
- 3 cups GF plain flour
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- almonds for decorating
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Break or grate almond paste into mixture, add half the beaten egg and few drops of almond essence.
- Mix in flour (use mixer) to make a shortbread-type dough.
- Press into an oblong Swiss roll tin pre-lined with baking paper.
- Decorate with almonds and brush with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake at 180oC for 20-25 minutes.
Cut into squares whilst still warm and leave in the tin until cool.
To make this recipe low lactose or dairy free, use a plant-based spread instead of butter.