1/3 cup sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter)*
6 tbsp pure maple syrup*
45 g (1 1/2 cup) puffed rice*
75 g (1/2 cup) pumpkin seeds (roughly chopped)*
4 tbsp dried cranberries (roughly chopped)*
1/2 tsp ground ginger*
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon*
15g dark chocolate (roughly chopped)*
1/2 tsp guar gum (or xanthan gum) optional*
- Roughly chop the pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. Line an 8 inch by 8 inch (21cm by 21cm) square pan with baking paper.
- Melt the sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter) with the maple syrup in a non-stick fry pan over medium-low heat. Once melted, turn off the heat and stir through the chopped pumpkin seeds, puffed rice, dried cranberries, ground ginger, cinnamon and guar gum (the guar gum will help the slice be less crumbly but you don't have to use it). Once the ingredients are evenly coated in syrup transfer to the baking pan.
- Spread the mixture evenly across the pan. Place another piece of baking paper on top and then press the mixture firmly into the pan (make sure you do this evenly). If you don't compact the mixture firmly, your energy bars will crumble when you cut them.
- In a small bowl, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, until melted and smooth (stirring each time). Then drizzle over the mixture using a teaspoon.
- Place the energy bars in the fridge for 2 hours (let them cool completely). Once cold, cut with a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or somewhere cool.
- Storage note: These bars should remain fresh for about 2 weeks in the fridge, or you can pop them into the freezer and store for 2 months.
Click here for PDF version
Recipe provided by CNZ Food Ambassador Alana Scott of alittlebityummy.com