120 g (1/2 cup) dairy-free spread (olive oil spread or butter)*
100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
52 g (1/4 cup) white sugar
2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 large bananas (firm - no brown spots) *about 2 cups mashed*
210 g (1 1/2 cup) gluten free all-purpose flour*
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice*
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp lemon juice*
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (355ºF) bake function. Line or grease a loaf tin.
- Chop the bananas into small pieces, heat in the microwave for 30 seconds (this will help soften the firm bananas and make them easier to mash). Then mash the bananas until smooth.
- Cream the dairy spread (or butter) and sugar together. Mix through the eggs, mashed banana and vanilla.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, mixed spice and baking powder. In a small cup mix together the lemon juice and baking soda (this reduces the taste of the baking soda so your banana bread doesn't taste soapy!).
- Mix the flour mixture and baking soda mixture through the wet ingredients until combined.
- Transfer to the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes in the middle of the oven. Check the loaf (it's done once the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out relatively clean) and cook for a further five minutes if needed.
Recipe provided by Alana Scott
Click here for a PDF version.